Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 828 port size with 416-8C

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    This may have already been covered in detail before, but I ask anyway!

    What is considered the optimum port size opening on a factory stock 828 cabinet with a 416-8C driver? Currenty my 828 boxes have the port wide open. I am getting them put back together to use on Saturday and was hoping that I could get some pertinent port baffle information before then.

    Any help is appreciated!

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    'Optimum' is whatever works for you in your app. I mean the smaller the vent, the lower the Fb, so for max midbass horn extension you want the largest opening (no baffle board), but the trade-off is a very high Fb with a steep roll off, so a sub may be required. From there it's all down hill, so to speak forums , with stock tuning being considered a balance between highest Fb and sealed.

    GM

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've noticed a lot of persons prefer the port around 75 - 100 inches. Mine are slightly under 100.

    Cal

  4. #4
    Inactive Member taudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2004
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Carl,

    When my 828's were still stock, I did extensive listening tests in my room and found the 100 sq in porting sounded best to my ears (see the thread on "Re-porting 825/828 cabinets"). That is where I'd suggest beginning your experiments.

    Even at that, however, I was not satisfied with the bass extension, so I partitioned off the bottom of the cabs and installed NOS JBL 2235's. Tri-amped and tweaked, they now sound glorious and are capable of rattling everything out of my wife's china cabinets!

    HTH!

    taudo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.